POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: True Area Light Sources (from p.a-u) : Re: True Area Light Sources (from p.a-u) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: True Area Light Sources (from p.a-u)
From: John Mellerick
Date: 5 Dec 2002 05:30:05
Message: <web.3def2a228cef6e97dbca1a080@news.povray.org>
Hey,

>Any other comments on this?

Well, in August of this year, I did pretty much the same set of experiments,
and wrote up a short article, which you can read at:

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~element/areaLights/

Now, I didn't have all my facts straight when I wrote it, and the subsequent
flame war that was targeted at me on povray.general quickly pointed out
that Povray's arealights are *not* designed to give area illumination, but
simply to simulate area *shadows*. I agree though, a source of area
illumination in Povray would be most welcome...

John